catapult magazine has put out the call for their feast of lists issue: ten resolutions, ten ideas or ten things learned — top ten favorites — or even ten unrelated things.
I’ve been working on ten enchanted places and (ten) things I learned from my mom. But for you, here are ten things I learned from my dog:
- Use your nose. There’s more to life than what you can see.
- Wiggle and stretch. First thing every morning, before your feet hit the floor.
- Nap. As often as you can. Rest is crucial.
- Check out the other guy’s bowl. You may find something you missed.
- Everyone is a potential playmate. The most unexpected people will respond in ways you never expected. Give them a chance.
- Run with the pack. They are your warm, safe place.
- It’s all an adventure. You never know what’s around the next curve, but it might involve treats.
- Never give up. You may be near the end, but it’s not the end until you close your eyes for the last time.
- Follow the nice guys home. They’ll make a place for you at the table.
- Let go of the past. We found you wandering the streets of a rust belt city. We picked you up on the side of the Ohio Turnpike. You followed a family home through a parking lot in Houston. But look at you now. You are loved.